6 Perks of Being a Dance Teacher
I have been a dance teacher/instructor in some form or another for many years now, and I can truly tell you that it is one of the best jobs on earth. Every week, I witness passion, talent, friendship, and community.
On the other hand, I also witness chaos, screaming, sassiness, eye-rolling, and mirror-licking (yes, that is a thing that happens).
Would I ever change it? Never. I’ll just stock-up on windex.
- The “light-bulb” moment. It’s a great feeling when you finally see a student “get it”. Whether it be a dance move they’ve been working on, remembering the next step they kept forgetting, or even making it to their spot in the next formation. Unbeknownst to them, their frustration is written all over their faces and is something every dance teacher has seen before. It is awesome to see that frustration turn into excitement!
- Creative Juices.Dance instructors’ classes are their own world. They get to create something from a simple idea and watch their vision come alive on stage. Even though our students get to perform the routine, it is empowering to know that you were the driving force behind it.
- Making a difference. I am someone who wholeheartedly believes in the power of dance ,because I’ve seen the difference its made in my life and in our students’. As a dance teacher, you are positive influence on so many students. They will remember you for the rest of their lives.
- Exercise in disguise.On the days I teach classes, I stay away from the gym because I know I’m about to have a full-blown workout in my class. As someone who HATES cardio, this is the only way I can get my cardio in!
- Doing something you love. If everyone did something they love to do every day, then the world would be a much better place. Life is way too short to NOT be doing something you love.
- You’re the Boss. Most dance teachers you’ll find are type A (#guilty). We’ve been called bossy, demanding, opinionated, perfectionists etc. more times in our lives that we care to admit. So, being the authority and leader of our classes suits us just fine!
We do what we love and we love what we do. It’s not always roses and rainbows but it’s always worth it.